Community Service Officer
Under general supervision, this service position performs non-licensed law enforcement work related to parking control, the detection and prevention of crime, impounding bicycles and other lost items, assisting with animal control, and providing the public with information.
- Hourly Starting Wage: $22.98 per hour, non-exempt
- 25 hours per week
- Position is open until filled
The essential functions of the position include, but are not limited to the following.
- Patrols an assigned area by vehicle, bicycle, or on foot to ensure public compliance with existing parking ordinance.
- Impounds abandoned/lost bicycles and other items as assigned.
- Patrols City parks on a regular basis.
- Assists in the enforcement of animal ordinances involving patrolling, impounding and responding to calls and complaints and maintain reports of activities.
- Enforces ordinances and other laws that do not require a licensed police officer and are non-hazardous to personal safety.
- Reports dangerous street conditions, missing street identification and regulatory signs, defective streetlights and observable ordinance or statutory violations.
- Writes complete and legible reports, detailing activities and actions.
- Handles complaints in person and over the phone.
- Testifies in Court.
- Provides information to the public regarding parking regulations and facilities, and the location of streets, buildings and points of interest.
- Assists with traffic control when necessary.
- Performs other duties as requested.
Minimum: Qualified candidates must have a high school diploma or GED and possess a valid driver’s license.
Desired: Associate’s degree or equivalent training at a technical or vocational school with a focus on criminal justice or related field.
- Enrollment in the Minnesota Public Employees Retirement Plan;
- 25 hours of vacation granted at hire with progressive accrual thereafter;
- 60 hours of paid sick leave per year;
- 12 paid holidays per year;
- Guaranteed annual wage increases for eight years with a progressive minimum increase of 2.5% to 4% per year.
To learn more and apply on line, click the apply button to be redirected to the City of Winona jobs page.
Questions may be directed to the City of Winona Human Resources office at 507-457-8234.
The City of Winona is an equal opportunity employer. The City considers candidates regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.